Keremeos Columns Provincial Park
8 min driving from Downtown Keremeos
This short day hike through sagebrush country leads you to formations created from volcanic activity that occurred around 30 million years ago.
The Keremeos Columns are made of basalt, the result of cooled lava and stand at a spectacular 30m high. They share the same geological phenomenon status as Northern Ireland's "Giant Causeway" and Wyoming's "Devil's Tower."
The trail does involve some elevation and ends in a steep incline, sturdy shoes are recommended. Although there is a Keremeos Park, the actual columns lie out of its boundaries on private property. Permission must be obtained from the last house at the end of the pavement in the housing area or by calling the Clifton's on: 1-250-499-5638
A roundtrip to visit the Keremeos Columns takes between three to four hours for active adults and can be extremely hot during the summer, make sure to bring plenty of water and watch out for rattlesnakes among other wildlife such as deer.
1. After 0.35 km of hiking, there will be a fork to your right. Ignore it and continue straight.
2. At 0.8 km, the road will hairpin turn to the right. Follow it.
3. At 1.61 km there is a pull out, a tower of some sort, and a gorgeous view.
4. Roughly 1 km later there are forks to the right which can take you to an additional viewpoint up to a different cell tower. Ignore them. Keep right to continue straight.
5. Just before another kilometer up the trail is the MOST important fork. The trail splits left or right. KEEP LEFT!
6. Continue through the gate up the hill and close it behind you.
7. A lush forest full of birch will appear to your right. Keep walking up the road until you reach the columns. Do not take any forks.
For more information:
|Seasons:||Spring, Summer, Fall|
|Difficulty Description:||A steady hike up a 4x4ing road|
|Dogs:||OK on Leash|
|Children:||Ages 10 and up|
|Cell Service:||Excellent (Telus August 2015)|
We have a downloadable GPS map for this trail!
Last Updated on Fri, Sep 18, 2015Need help using it? See our FAQ. Already own it? Login.
|Duration One-Way (solo):||80 min|
|Duration Round-Trip (solo):||180 min|
|Trailhead GPS:||Unlock this single trail, or Order Full Maps Pack! Already paid? Login|
|Trailend GPS:||Unlock this single trail, or Order Full Maps Pack! Already paid? Login|
|Distance:||5.38 km (one-way)|
|Elevation at Start:||523 meters|
|Elevation at End:||1,216 meters|
|Elevation Minimum:||523 meters|
|Elevation Maximum:||1,216 meters|
|Elevation Gain:||706 meters (one-way)|
|Elevation Loss:||-12 meters (one-way)|
|Slope Up:||10.60% (one-way)|
|Slope Down:||10.60% (one-way)|
There are no comments.
Leave a comment
You must Login to post a comment!