High Rim Trail: River Trail
Central Okanagan / Joe Rich
31 min driving from Downtown Kelowna
The Okanagan High Rim Trail connects Vernon to Kelowna through 55km of wilderness. This particular segment covers a small 2.6km stretch in Kelowna at the very end of the Kelowna to Vernon trail.
The High Rim Trail is home to several types of wildflower such as the rare Indian Paintbrush. Widlife is in abundance and includes deer, mink, bobcat, black bear, cougar, coyote and red fox as well as numerous types of reptile such as rattlesnakes and boas. Several bird spotting opportunities await.
In 2009 the trail was revitalised and now offers not only a scenic adventure but an education one, lookout for signs and tree labels.
1. Walk across the highway from where you parked on Philpott Rd.
2. Walk a couple hundred meters, following the signs, up Highway 33 back towards town.
3. Go up and over the barbed-wire fence with using the man-made ladder.
4. Follow the well-marked trail until the first major fork. Turn RIGHT down towards the river. Remember this intersection.
5. The trail will take you to a small clearing right on the river with a sign marking the beginning of High Rim Trail, noting it's creation by "Trail Builders"
6. Follow the same trail back up to the road, but instead of turning left at that major intersection, follow the ATV-like trail right back up to the highway.
7. Walk left once you reach the highway to come back to Philpott Rd.
|Duration Class:||Short Hike|
|Seasons:||Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall|
|Difficulty Description:||A short and relatively easy walk on a wide trail.|
|Dogs:||OK o Leash|
|Children:||Ages 10 and up.|
We have a downloadable GPS map for this trail!
Last Updated on Wed, Feb 21, 2018Need help using it? See our FAQ. Already own it? Login.
Trail data hidden!
Upgrade to a paid membership to view details like:
- Elevation Gain, Loss, Change
- Elevation at beginning and end
- Elevation minimum and maximum
- Slope up and down
- Distance and duration
- Trailhead and trailend GPS coordinates
There are no comments.
Leave a comment
You must Login to post a comment!